The 2D Game Artist: Design Simple Pixel Art From Scratch
Make 2D art for games. From icons to animations. Using GIMP - the free Photoshop alternative.
The 2D Game Artist: Design Simple Pixel Art From Scratch udemy course free download:
What you'll learn:
- Master GIMP's powerful interface
- Convey meaning through shape and colour
- Use GIMPs fundamental drawing tools
- Work with layers for complex images
- Create gradients, drop shadows and reflections
- Organise and professionally export your work.
- Work to a specification like a pro
- Create pixel art assets for your games
- Create your own character
- Becoming a digital artist
- You need a Mac or PC capable of running GIMP (most are!)
- You only need a mouse or trackpad to get started!
- Optional: Wacom stylus or similar for later sections
- You can organise, move and rename files
GIMP is a super powerful, free, 2D art package. It's also 'open source' which means it's owned by the community, and constantly updated. Most of the features of the much more expensive Photoshop are available, giving you the power to create industry strength 2D art.
The challenge with this package is it can be intimidating for beginners, especially those who don't have much confidence in art or drawing. We make learning from scratch easy with our simple step-by-step process.
Even if you have no prior experience in drawing, or computer art, we'll take you from the very basics. By investing in a structured course like this you'll learn faster and more effectively than on your own, just check-out our latest reviews.
We provide challenges in every video to cement your knowledge, an active community of students and instructors to help you if you get stuck, and continuous updates to the course to improve the learning journey.
How is the course structured?
We start by helping you master GIMP's interface
Then we constrain you to just 8x8 pixels, to get you started
Moving on we add colour, contrast and more to bring your images alive
In section 2 we increase our canvas to 32x2 and beyond
By the end of the course you'll be able to create great looking 2D icons.
Looking for 3D art, Blender, Unity or more? Check out our other courses, let the green leaf logo be your guide :-)
Also included with the course...
Access to our thriving community forum, and live chat server
Use of our custom built texture sharing service
Daily responses to your Q&A.
2D artwork is in demand, and now's a great time to get into GIMP.
Ben & Michael
Who this course is for:
- You want to learn GIMP specifically
- You want to create 2D art from scratch
- You have little or no experience with GIMP or Photoshop
- You want to make 2D assets for computer games
18.5 hours on-demand video
4 downloadable resources
Full lifetime access
Access on mobile and TV
Certificate of completion