Learn API Technical Writing: JSON and XML for Writers
API Documentation1: Teaches technical writers how to document structured data. No programming experience required.
Learn API Technical Writing: JSON and XML for Writers udemy course free download:
What you'll learn:
- Read and understand structured data in JSON and XML formats.
- Write documentation for JSON and XML files, for API documentation or other types of documentation.
- Understand how to edit JSON and XML for tools that generate documentation.
- A text editor (such as Notepad or Atom) and a Word Processor (such as MS Word, Apple Pages, or Google docs)
This is the first in a series of courses for technical writers who want to learn how to write API documentation. This course teaches how to document structured data, focusing on the two most popular structured data formats: JSON and XML. If you are new to API documentation, this is a great place to start. No programming experience is required, but technical writers with programming experience who want to know more about structured data will still find it useful.
What are APIs?
APIs (Application Program Interfaces) define how software systems talk to each other, and API documentation is a rapidly growing field. There is a strong need for writers who can understand APIs and explain them so that software developers can understand how to use them. API writers get to be in on the cutting edge of technology in high-paying positions.
What is in This Course?
By the end of the course, you will understand what APIs are, why they are important, and how to read and document structured data. In this course you'll find:
- Eight videos that:
- Provide background information on APIs and structured data
- Break down sample JSON and XML files to show you how they work
- Show real-time, narrated writing of JSON and XML documentation
- Four hands-on exercises to lead you through building and documenting JSON and XML files
- Two text-based lectures about useful software tools
- Five short quizzes to keep you on your toes
- PowerPoint presentations as a resource for every video lecture
The course takes approximately 2.5 hours to complete, depending on how fast you are with the exercises.
Who this course is for:
- Technical writers with experience writing end-user documentation and how want to learn how to write API documentation. No prior programming or structured data experience is required.
- Technical writers with programming experience who want details on best practices for documenting structured data.
1 hour on-demand video
8 downloadable resources
Full lifetime access
Access on mobile and TV
Certificate of completion