GIS for Beginners #1: QGIS 3 Orientation. +Free 111p eBook
Learn to use QGIS 3. Navigate the interface. Create a shaded Thematic Map. Learn GIS basics and geospatial analysis.
GIS for Beginners #1: QGIS 3 Orientation. +Free 111p eBook udemy course free download:
What you'll learn:
- ACCURATE CAPTIONS PRODUCED FROM VIDEO TRANSCRIPTS USING QGIS 3.4!!!
- FREE eBOOK: 111 pages of screen captures and explanations.
- QGIS tutorial: Learn to use QGIS 3 - the Beginner Basics.
- GIS Generics: How to open QGIS maps and QGIS air photos. And change their appearance.
- QGIS 3 Project Files: Recreate screen environments from days, months or even years ago.
- Thematic map: Shaded GIS Map creation.
- Thematic map colour scheme: It is easy to compare maps that have been shaded using the same colour scheme. It also helps your maps to tell their story. I show you how to choose a colour scheme that works for your entire GIS mapping project.
- Create a time-series Thematic map.
- How to validate Geospatial data: Why it is important to validate GIS mapping and how to go about doing it.
- Understand the relationship between a GIS map and the table that lies behind it.
- Understand Geospatial conceptually: Why maps have limitations. Why GIS maps are rich Geospatial databases. What is map overlay. What are the four GIS map objects.
- Map interpretation: Understand that the shapes, colors and other visual clues in GIS maps and air photos can be surrogates for both socio-economic and environmental information.
- A pdf reader to open the FREE QGIS tutorial eBook. A printer too if you wish.
- A Windows computer to install the free QGIS software. I have short videos showing you how to download and install both QGIS and the teaching dataset. QGIS also runs on Mac, Linux, BSD and Android but I teach this QGIS tutorial using the MS Windows version.
- A strong work ethic, willingness to learn, and plenty of excitement about the Thematic maps you’re about to build.
- Nothing else! It’s just you, your computer and your hunger to get started today.
QGIS 3.4, Accurate Captions, 111 Page eBook, HD Video & High Qupality Audio.
Attention Researchers, College Students and Professionals: Do You Want to add QGIS to your Toolkit without having the Hassle of Enrolling in a College GIS Course?
WANT YOUR COLLEAGUES TO SEE YOU NAVIGATE QGIS LIKE A SEASONED PROFESSIONAL?
Learn the First Steps That All QGIS Professionals Learn When They Start Out. Join 3,450+ students in the BESTSELLING QGIS tutorial on Udemy!
Have you been trying to learn to use QGIS without any luck?
You have looked for QGIS tutorials around the web but the information you find is incomplete, often out-of-date and narrow in its focus.
That’s understandable because the best GIS training is usually for expensive commercial GIS’s and the lessons for the FREE, equally functional, QGIS 3 are mostly written by volunteers.
In "QGIS tutorial for Beginners #1: Orientation. +Free 111p eBook " I teach you the beginners basics of QGIS using HD videos, free eBook and teaching dataset, Step-by-Step Follow-Along style.
It is as simple as watching the videos on your computer, referring to the eBook resource if you need to, and following along with the exercises using the FREE QGIS 3 Software
Start now and you'll learn to use QGIS in no-time. You could be working on your own QGIS project this time tomorrow!
Imagine what would be like to have your own GIS maps on your own computer and under your control.
Enrol in my QGIS tutorial now and dip your toes in the water of one the most popular GISs ever - QGIS 3. As your instructor I will use my 24+ years of GIS consulting, research and teaching to guide you in your first QGIS steps.
Let me remove the pain of stumbling and fumbling as you muddle through your daily GIS mapping tasks. Using videos, downloadable 111 Page eBook and teaching datasets, I start you off with the basics of QGIS, Step-by-Step Follow-Along style, and build on them so you can create your first Thematic map.
At completion of this QGIS tutorial you will have mastered the most-used QGIS tools. You will emerge with the confidence to complete basic Geospatial tasks in QGIS and the skills to quickly advance to intermediate level Geospatial projects.
QGIS tutorial for Beginners #1: Orientation. +Free 111p eBook will teach you…
Generic GIS mapping functionality: How to open, navigate and interpret GIS maps and air photos, and change how they look on screen.
The basics of Geospatial analysis.
QGIS Thematic map creation: Create your first shaded thematic map. I show you a simple way to find a colour scheme for any Thematic map. I also talk about why it can be important to generalize Geospatial data for some audiences.
QGIS time-series Thematic map creation: I show you a simple technique that even QGIS beginners can use to demonstrate "change" in a map theme over time. We'll compare Land Use maps interpreted 28 years apart.
I show you that the shapes and colours in GIS mapping and GIS air photos can be surrogates for both socio-economic and environmental information: Why visual clues such as block size, watercourse shape and even vegetation condition reveals all sorts of valuable information. These techniques are not even on the radar of many GIS technicians.
Geospatial data validation: Why it is important to validate GIS mapping and how to go about doing it.
Understand GIS conceptually: Why maps have limitations. Why GIS maps are also rich databases. What is map overlay. What are the four GIS map objects.
Understand the relationship between GIS mapping and the tables that lies behind it.
My name is Ian Allan. While doing my post-graduate research, I co-authored (world top 100) Monash University’s first two GIS courses. In those courses I taught Grid Cell GIS and Vector GIS to both Undergraduate and Graduate students.
I have authored and co-authored fifteen peer reviewed publications. I have worked professionally as a GIS researcher, taught GIS to thousands of students, and worked as a GIS consultant on projects as diverse as the following…
· United Nations: Post tsunami strategic planning in Banda Ache
· Australian Federal Government: National Broadband strategic assessment.
· Victoria Australia’s Department of Premier and Cabinet: Housing affordability modelling.
· Local Government: Environmental sustainability modelling for planners,
· Water industry: Buried water pipe condition modelling. Ease-of-digging modelling. 3d landscape modelling.
For the past 24 years I’ve been a GIS researcher teacher and consultant. Over 5400 students have enrolled in my Udemy GIS courses. Here’s what some of my students say about my teaching style…
Caesar says: It was a very good class, just what I needed to get familiar with QGIS.
Carina says: “Perfect course to whom have never used… QGIS! Very detailed on the explanations and really generous additional materials to study.”
Brian says: "It was very thorough and comprehensive… Ian also covered aspects of GIS Analysis - which increases your learning and appreciation of the capabilities of how powerful the GIS tool can be"
Umar says: "Ian is vast and knowledgeable in what he teaches. I would do another course by Ian if he offered it"
Nathan says: "Really great introductory-level course! The examples were simple to follow, but also very useful. All the work can be finished while watching the videos, there was no extra work to be done without guidance. I really look forward to the next course by this instructor. - Cheers and well done!"
Boojhawon says: "Simple and very clear lectures with the minimum basics/backgrounds to get a taste of what awaits us further and also making us think of what we can do more."
SRIJON says: “I have experience in using ArcGIS. I needed the QGIS taste for which I took this. If anybody who has little experience in GIS will love the 'Techniques and Tips' parts, which are very clearly and elaborately described, which will greatly help to be a GIS interpreter. And I love the line "Don't just be a tourist." It should be the tricky line between a GIS analyst and a technician. The course will help me in my future works.”
Here’s what you get…
FREE eBook: 111 pages of screen captures and explanatory text to compliment the QGIS tutorial videos.
A zip file of the QGIS teaching dataset I use in the videos: Extract these and follow-along with me in the videos.
2.5 hours of QGIS tutorial videos: In the videos I show you how to navigate QGIS, create a shaded Thematic map, create a shaded Thematic map time-series, and how to think like a Geospatial analyst.
You get to eavesdrop as I work: Gain insights into how to create a Thematic map in QGIS. These are insights that only experienced Geospatial analysts have. Insights you would otherwise likely overlook or possibly never otherwise grasp.
Try this QGIS tutorial risk free. If within 30 days you are not satisfied with the course for any reason, return it for a 100% refund. The dataset and eBook are yours to keep!
Be sure to click on the "Add to cart" button on the top right corner of this page.
All the QGIS tutorials in my QGIS tutorials For Beginners series have been developed by me over the last 24 years. All the techniques and concepts I teach have been proven in the research and consulting environments during that time.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q. English is not my native language. Does this QGIS tutorial have captions?
A. Yes. High quality ones too! Almost all the videos have captions that are generated from transcriptions (unlike other Udemy captions that are auto-generated and prone to error).
Q. Your QGIS tutorial does not use ARC. Does this matter?
A. No, it does not matter. I teach you the basics of GIS mapping in a way that’s applicable to ALL GIS software, even Arc.
Q. I have no experience with QGIS. Does that matter?
A. No previous GIS or QGIS knowledge is assumed.
Q. I am worried that this QGIS tutorial will be like many other technical courses - abstract and hard to follow.
A. All exercises are deliberately based on the type of practical every-day GIS problems that I encounter day-to-day in my GIS consultancy. All my QGIS tutorial for Beginners courses use datasets covering the same area - Yarmouth in Massachusetts. That means that for each of my (now four) QGIS tutorials, from QGIS tutorial to QGIS tutorial, you get to understand that the value and usefulness of maps over an area increases as more maps are added. Download the teaching dataset and follow-along with the videos.
Q. What Work Materials are there to support the QGIS tutorial?
A. A 111 page eBook with screen captures and explanations to compliment the videos, and a zip file containing the same teaching dataset I use in the videos.
Q. Do I need to purchase software to do this QGIS tutorial?
A. No, there is no need to purchase software. We’ll use the FREE QGIS 3. In follow-along videos, I show you how to download and install this.
Q. I want to buy this QGIS tutorial today, but I don’t have time to do the course right now. How long do I have access to the course for?
A. You have Unlimited Lifetime Access to the course (including future upgrades)
Q. What if I decide this QGIS tutorial is not for me.
A. I offer an unconditional, no-questions-asked full 30-day money-back guarantee!
Q. If I have a problem, can I ask questions?
A. Yes. I welcome questions. I enjoy helping my students. Questions also help me improve this QGIS tutorial. Its best to use the Q&A area for this.
Be sure to click on the Add to cart button on the top right corner of this page.
I look forward to seeing you inside!
Who this course is for:
- Students, Academics and Professionals who want to add QGIS to their armoury of data analysis and presentation tools
- Absolutely no experience is required. The QGIS tutorial shows you exactly how to get started with QGIS and shade your first thematic map!
2.5 hours on-demand video
8 downloadable resources
Full lifetime access
Access on mobile and TV
Certificate of completion